California Rolls as its name implies originated in the what beautiful sunny state of California. In the 1960s, a chef in Los Angeles was disappointed by the availability of fresh sushi quality fish recipes cooked. He thought that there must be some simply way to recreate that buttery taste of fresh fish recipe with ingredients indigenous to California. In an attempt to recreate those types favors the chef put together some imitation crab meat, avocado, cucumber, seaweed, and sushi rice to create the popular dish – the California Roll. The roll proved to be a huge success with its appearance in countless sushi joints around the world. The California Roll is actually a pretty simple homemade dish to concoct in any home kitchen.
Homemade Sushi Recipe
- Sushi Rice
- Rice Vinegar
- Roasted Seaweed
- Imitation Crab Meat
- Sesame Seeds
- Pickled Ginger
- Soy Sauce
1. The process begins with preparing 2 cups of sushi rice. (It is much easier to cook rice if you have a rice cooker at hand but should you be lacking one, do not despair…you can do without.) After washing the rice, add 2 cups of sushi rice into a small pot and add 2 cups of filtered water. Place the lid on the pot and turn the heat up to the max. After about 10 minutes (when the water starts bubbling) turn the heat to medium and wait for the rice to simmer for a bit (another 10-15 minutes).
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix 3 tablespoon with 2 tablespoon of sugar and a pinch of salt.
3. When the rice is finally ready, add the vinegar in the rice and mix with a spoon. (Note: do not mash the rice, the final result of each grain fluffy and distinguishable)
4. Using a spoon, spread the sushi rice even on the surface of a piece of seaweed.
5. Sprinkle sesame seeds on to the rice.
6. On the reverse side (or on top of the rice), add the avocado, cucumber, and imitation crab meat.
7. Roll all the ingredients together to form the sushi.