Oh how I love to sit with the fam, watch movies and eat popcorn. Of course the shop bought variety is invariably packed with sugar, and this leaves me feeling pretty rubbish the next day (for a chronic illness sufferer sugar isn’t your friend). So enter my refined sugar free Salted Caramel Popcorn.
Absolutely my favourite snack and super simple to make.
I use xylitol in place of sugar, xylitol is a natural sugar substitute, something we even create ourselves in our bodies, so naturally our bodies can metabolise it well without spiking insulin levels, which avoids the sugar slump afterwards. As well as this it’s really good for our teeth. You can find xylitol in the sugar section at most supermarkets (I always find it at Sainsburys) otherwise most health food shops sell it in store or online. The best thing about it is that it’s so so similar to sugar I bet you won’t even be able to tell. I replaced our white sugar for this and didn’t tell my hubby, he didn’t notice for months until I told him… bonus haha. It also melts like sugar which is a huge plus. I also used coconut butter in this recipe, this isn’t always easy to find. I got mine from and it’s made by Biona. I’m sure you can sub this for coconut flour, cream or milk powder, but I haven’t tried so can’t guarantee results.
• 1 cup or one portion of plain popping corn
• 2 tbsp Xylitol
• 2 tsp coconut oil
• 1 tbsp boiled water
• 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
• pinch of pink salt
• 1 tbsp coconut butter
• Cook your Popcorn according to instructions (I pop in a pan with coconut oil with the lid on tightly) leave to the side once cooked
• Then, add the xylitol to a pan along with water, salt and vanilla.
• On a low heat, simmer until the sugar is melted – stirring contintinously
• Add the coconut butter and mix well and continue to simmer on low for a few minutes until the mixture starts turning a golden brown colour (you’ll have to take it off the heat at intervals to check the colour as when on the heat you’ll find it bubbles so it’s hard to see the actual colour)
• Once ready leave to cool slightly and
then take half of the Popcorn and add to a bowl and pour over the caramel, use two spoons to coat as much of the corn as you can.
• To the other half sprinkle with salt and then add to the caramel half and combine well… enjoy!
* If you leave the caramel for too long before pouring onto the Popcorn it may set too much, if so add a a few tsp of hot boiled water and mix well until loosened. If this doesn’t work pop in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time, until it’s runny again.